The news: Amwell is now offering virtual musculoskeletal (MSK) care and teledermatology programs.
More on the new programs:
- Amwell’s MSK program is a virtual MSK care solution employers and insurers can offer as a benefit. The program makes physical therapy more accessible and helps insurers and employers minimize the high costs associated with MSK conditions.
- Amwell’s Dermatology program lets users access virtual dermatology visits at lower costs for insurers and health plans.
Why it matters: Both healthcare areas are in high-growth mode. Amwell’s expansion will let it deliver more comprehensive healthcare.
- 38% of insurers plan to add MSK care to their virtual care offerings in the next two years, per Amwell’s 2021 survey.
- Plus, MSK care is a top cost driver for healthcare spending in the US. MSK care costs doubled from $10 billion in 2010 to $20 billion in 2019, per a 2021 analysis of medical claims data of 40+million US adults in major health plans.
- Teledermatology care is also a growing market. US telehealth users have accessed virtual dermatology care more than other types of specialty care, per our 2022 US Telehealth Trends survey.
Amwell has been expanding into more healthcare areas, including pediatric mental health and even smart hospitals. Adding MSK care and dermatology will boost the value of its telehealth platform for insurer and provider customers.