Total media ad spending worldwide will rise 7.4% to $628.63 billion in 2018. Digital media will account for 43.5% of investments, thanks to rising global ecommerce spending and shifting viewership from traditional TV to digital channels. By 2020, digital’s share of total advertising will near 50%.
- Mobile will be the big winner, garnering 67.3% of digital and 29.2% of total media advertising this year. Driven by rising demand, advertiser competition and escalating ad prices, mobile’s share of total spending will rise to 41.9% by 2022.
- At $210.43 billion, Asia-Pacific will account for 33.5% of worldwide ad spending. And it will be the fastest-growing region, with its 10.7% growth rate driven largely by China, which has 45.5% of the regional ad market.
- Ad spending in Latin America will grow 8.7% to $38.04 billion in 2018. Several markets in the region are facing economic challenges, but key elections in these countries and the FIFA World Cup (hosted in Russia) will keep the ad market buoyant.
- North America will remain the world’s largest market, at $232.48 billion, a 6.6% rise from 2017. The region’s 37.0% share of global media spend will be fueled by its mobile ad market.
- Ad spending in Western Europe will reach $104.57 billion this year on a growth rate of 2.8%. New countries to eMarketer’s ad spending forecast are Austria and Switzerland, which together will account for 8.7% of ad spending in Western Europe.