Digital Wallets Dominate Social Chatter About Mobile Payments
Digital wallets were the most popular topic when it came to discussions on social media about mobile payments in 2015. According to social tracking data, just 3% of such posts were about other topics, which included contactless cards and more.
Last year, MasterCard, in partnership with Prime Research, tracked more than 2 million social media posts about mobile payment options worldwide, including posts made to Twitter and Facebook, among other platforms.
Digital wallets dominated the chatter, taking up 97% of the discussion on social last year. Interestingly though, the research also broke down the remaining 3%. Outside of the digital wallets discussions, contactless cards made up almost half of the other conversations, followed by biometrics at 33%. Rounding out the other category were personal payments (14%) and wearables (6%).
Just as digital wallets made up most of the social discussion last year, adoption of the payment method has seen growth year-over-year. When looking particularly at usage in the US, though, there is some room for improvement. Research in April 2015 from Chadwick Martin Bailey found a majority of US smartphone owners still have not used a mobile wallet—and many don’t plan to.
And for those US internet users with a mobile wallet, they may be using them less. Market Force Information found that fewer respondents said they were making a payment or receiving money in 2015 compared to the year prior. In contrast, users said they were using functions like storing a loyalty card and using a “tap and pay” method more last year.