« Return to Mobile Website

Newsletter Sign-Up

Contact Sales

UK Males Are Far More Likely to Scan QR Codes

Millennials represent the largest portion of QR code scanners among all age groups

The question of whether or not QR codes are effective may be on many marketers’ minds, but those using them in the UK are far more likely to see males taking out their phones to scan such codes compared with females. A September 2013 study by comScore MobiLens in collaboration with the Mobile Marketing Association found that among 3 million UK mobile phone users who scanned QR codes, 63.0% were men. Women made up the remaining share, at just 37.0%.

Millennials claimed the largest portion of QR code scanners among all age groups, with 25- to 34-year-olds ranking No. 1 among both genders and 18- to 24-year-olds taking second place. The 13-to-17 age group was the least likely to scan QR codes, with those 45 to 54 ranking second to last. In each age bracket, men were more likely than women to scan QR codes, and 25-to-34-year-old males took the top spot.

UK consumers are well aware of QR codes. In fact, Kinetic “Moving Minds Panel” data released in August 2013 showed that they were the top smartphone technology that smartphone owners in the country knew of.

But while internet users were aware of QR codes’ existence, RetailMeNot.com found that mobile shoppers hadn’t jumped on the bandwagon when it came to scanning such codes. Just 12% of those who shopped via mobile in Great Britain said they used a QR code to find out more information about a product—the lowest response rate out of all activities included. Respondents were much more likely to use their mobile phone to research products themselves, cited by 33%.

SHARE

SHARE THIS

  • Go beyond the articles:

    coverage
    eMarketer Products

    You've never experienced research like this.

    SEE FEATURES »
  • Hear from our clients:

    coverage
    Customer Stories

    Nearly all Fortune 500 companies rely on us.

    READ MORE »
  • Want to learn more?

    coverage
    Contact Us

    Inquire about corporate subscriptions today.

    CONTACT SALES »