Facebook Ad Dollars Continue Move to Mobile - eMarketer
« Return to Mobile Website

Newsletters Sign-Up

Schedule a Demo

Does My Company Subscribe?

Facebook Ad Dollars Continue Move to Mobile

Mobile accounted for 62.0% of Facebook ads in Q3 2014

Mobile ad spending on Facebook passed desktop in Q1 2014 to account for the lion’s share of ads on the social network—and growth doesn’t appear to be stopping any time soon.

Facebook Advertising Share Worldwide, by Device, Q3 2013-Q3 2014 (% of total among Nanigans clients)

According to data from Nanigans, advertisers continued to shift their dollars from PCs to mobile devices last quarter. In Q3 2014, mobile accounted for 62.0% of Facebook ads served on the source’s platform worldwide, compared with 38.0% for desktop.

eMarketer’s estimates for Facebook ad revenues by device for this year are in line with Nanigans’ findings. We expect 66.2% of Facebook’s $11.24 billion ad revenues worldwide to come from paid advertising on mobile, while desktop will grab the remaining 33.8%. This gap will expand throughout our forecast period. By 2016, revenues from advertising on Facebook will hit $17.43 billion, with ads served to mobile devices accounting for 75.0% that total.

Comparison of Facebook Mobile Ad ROI to Facebook Desktop Ad ROI According to US Marketers, Sep 2013 & June 2014 (% of respondents)

Desktop ads on Facebook also aren’t bringing the return on investment (ROI) they used to when compared with mobile. In June 2014 research by RBC and Advertising Age, 37% of US marketers said Facebook mobile ad ROI was somewhat or much greater than desktop, up slightly from 35% in September 2013. Meanwhile, just 23% said desktop ROI was greater than mobile on Facebook, down from 27%.

All of this makes sense when one considers how consumer access to Facebook is changing. eMarketer estimates that of the average 21 minutes US adults spend on Facebook daily in 2014, mobile will account for 61.5% of the total, compared with desktop and laptop’s 38.5% share.

Go beyond the articles

Corporate subscribers get quick and easy access to the exact data and analysis they need to make critical business decisions:



  • Go beyond the articles:

    eMarketer Products

    You've never experienced research like this.

  • Hear from our clients:

    Customer Stories

    Nearly all Fortune 500 companies rely on us.

  • Want to learn more?

    Contact Us

    Inquire about corporate subscriptions today.