Multitasking in Australia Leads to Multichannel Opportunities - eMarketer
« Return to Mobile Website

Newsletter Sign-Up

Schedule a Demo

Does My Company Subscribe?

Multitasking in Australia Leads to Multichannel Opportunities

Simultaneous usage leads to multichannel marketing opportunities outside and inside the home

June 15, 2012 | Media Buying

In April 2012, eMarketer reported on an Experian Marketing Services study that found consumers in Australia ranked websites, email and search engine results as three of the top five relevant sources of marketing information available. Mobile-enabled marketing can supplement the use of these marketing channels both outside of—and inside—the home, especially as consumers in Australia become ever more adept multitaskers.

According to a May 2012 Deloitte study, “Vox Populi: State of the Media Democracy,” a majority of consumers in Australia, like in the US, are multitasking while watching TV. The survey for the report, conducted from November to December 2011, found that only 40% of people focused solely on TV while watching; the other 60% of consumers reported using email (29%), surfing the internet (28%) and social networking (20%), among other activities.

Simultaneous Activities While Watching TV According to Internet Users in Australia, Dec 2011 (% of respondents)

The data correlates with high rates of portable device usage. Respondents reported spending 48% of time spent online on such a device: laptops (35%), mobile devices and phones (10%), and tablets (3%).

With so many consumers in Australia simultaneously using the internet while watching TV, the significance of multichannel marketing becomes more immediate. As online and mobile campaigns worldwide become more advanced, marketers should consider timing them to coincide with the favorite TV programs of their target demographics.

Corporate subscribers have access to all eMarketer analyst reports, articles, data and more. Join the over 750 companies already benefiting from eMarketer’s approach. Learn more.

Check out today’s other articles, “Tablet Shopping Growing, but Retailers Must Keep Up” and “Tablets Deliver Revenue as Consumers Discover New Magazines.”



  • Go beyond the articles:

    eMarketer Products

    You've never experienced research like this.

  • Hear from our clients:

    Customer Stories

    Nearly all Fortune 500 companies rely on us.

  • Want to learn more?

    Contact Us

    Inquire about corporate subscriptions today.